Switch From Windows To Ubuntu
I have recently just made the switch to be fully linux, well 80% linux and I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my workstation. I have decided to install this as a dual boot with my existing Windows 7 OS. The reason I am keeping Windows 7 is because I still want to have access to Windows just incase I want to run an application which can only be ran in Windows. The reason I am moving to use Ubuntu is so I can full use the linux operating system. This is so I can develop in an environment which suits my style as a PHP developer my application will run on a linux operating system so I should develop using an linux operating system.
Before I used to develop in windows and now I can use the same IDEs in linux so I might as well switch over. I was using WAMP to be my apache server which worked mine but I had a couple of issues with the setup of virtual hosts so I decided to use the linux apache for full linux support.
Ubuntu is open source software so it's a free operating system is better than paying out for another operating system.
Ubuntu is super fast on new computers in their tests it take 7 seconds to full boot up and I thought Windows 7 was quick but it's got nothing on Ubuntu.
Linux operating systems have NO virus's. If a potential threat does appear a quick release is put out to fix this problem.
Ubuntu Software Center
Ths makes it very easy to find a piece of software and download it straight away, it even suggests software it thinks you may like.
Ubuntu comes with built-in FREE office application so don't pay out money to buy Microsoft Office, LibreOffice can do everything you need.
Install Ubuntu along side Windows
- Download Ubuntu
- Try / Install - Ubuntu allows you to try it before you install it by running it off the cd or a usb stick.
- To install it create CD with Ubuntu iso on it.
- Booting from CD will run the install.
- Install Ubuntu alongside windows.
- Use slider to create partition more to Ubuntu as this is going to be the primary OS.
- Follow install instructions.
What To Do After Install
- Install updates - always install the latest updates so you have all the up to date functionality and security releases.
- Update Repositories
- Install Ubuntu Restricted Extras
Programs that will get installed after running the above command are:
- MP3, DVD Playback support
- Microsoft Fonts
- Java Runtime
- Flash Player
- Codecs that are required to play MP3 and DVDs.
- Enable Full DVD Playback(Dual Layer DVD Support).
- Check For Availability of Proprietary Hardware Drivers.
- Install software.
- Install plugins.
- Setup users and passwords.
- Network key password set to blank.
Web Development Tools
For web development you need to install a couple more extra things, these are the things that I download for my web development.
I download Chromium because it gets updated more often than Chrome. Chromium is exactly the same as Chrome but Chrome has been repackaged and doesn't get updated as often.
Install Web Apps for Chromium
Here is a list of places to go to find some of the best Chrome extensions.
- 15 Best Chrome Extensions by Trusted Reviews
- 12 Best Chrome Extensions by Tech Radar
- 30+ Best Google Chrome Extensions For Web Developers And Designers
- 9 Best Google Chrome Extensions for Web Designers By Niche WP
- 50 Best Chrome Extensions For Web Developers by Quertime
PHP Development IDE
The PHP development IDE I use is a open source IDE called eclipse. Eclipse is based on Java but has a PHP extensions so you can use it for your PHP development.
I use the FTP client is an open source FTP client called FileZilla.
Photo Editing Software
The photo editing software I use is the open source alternative to Photoshop called Gimp.
Install LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
To have a local PHP development area to develop your website you need to install LAMP(Linux Apache MySQL PHP).
There is a really good tutorial on How To Forge about How To Install LAMP.
Enjoy The Free Life With Ubuntu
- Access 100s of premium tutorials and downloadable content
- Members content consists of premium WordPress plugins
- CSS packages, jQuery packages, tutorial demo files and templates for 100s of web development tutorials
- In-depth development tutorials
- Priority tutorial requests
- No ads
- First month free!