How To Install Bower on Ubuntu
In this tutorial we're going to be installing Bower onto Ubuntu. Bower is a package manager for front-end libraries, similar to that of composer. It runs on Node.js and uses Git to install the required packages.
As it requires Git to install the packages we first need to make sure git is installed.
$ sudo apt-get install git-core
Bower uses Node.js and npm to manage the programs so lets install these.
$ sudo apt-get install nodejs
Node will now be installed with the executable located in
You should be able to execute Node.js by using the command below, but as ours are location in nodejs we will get an error No such file or directory.
$ /usr/bin/env node
We can manually fix this by creating a symlink.
$ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nodejs /usr/bin/node
Now check Node.js is installed correctly by using.
$ /usr/bin/env node >
$ sudo apt-get install npm
sudo npm install -g bower
Check bower is installed and what version you're running.
$ bower -v 1.7.9
- Access 100s of premium tutorials and downloadable content
- Members content consists of premium WordPress plugins
- CSS packages, jQuery packages, tutorial demo files and templates for 100s of web development tutorials
- In-depth development tutorials
- Priority tutorial requests
- No ads
- First month free!