Blank WordPress Themes To Start Your Theme
If you design themes regularly then you know about the code that you have to write over and over again. It doesn't matter how much you love doing if you have to write the same thing it will get boring.
The good approach to take is to use a framework as it already has most of the code that you will need to write. Even better than using a WordPress framework is to use an already produced wordpress theme and redo it to the new style. If I have to make up a new theme I always use an existing theme and change the styles, as it already has all the code that I would write any way. Why reinvent the wheel?
Use Blank Theme
As I use another theme it's much easier to start off with a theme that has no styles. Having a theme with no styles means I can quickly start from fresh on a new theme.
At this current time I am working on a new theme for this blog and I will be using a blank theme to start with then add the CSS and plugins and I have my new blog.
List Of Blank Themes
Some of the features of the WordPress Starter Theme are:
- Blank style.css with theme name, author, URL, etc. tags at the top
- Content-ready 404, archive, search, index, single post, and page files
- Full, working comments.php file
- Complete header.php set up with links to RSS, a stylesheet, and JS file; template
- Default search form template
- Blank screenshot.png file and images folder
The features of the WordPress Naked Theme is:
- Lightweight, semantic and validating XHTML
- As minimal as we can make it CSS to support the two column layout, which you can of course change in minutes to suit your CSS; the CSS is commnted to assist more in this regard
- Page navigation is two level horizontal unordered lists which you can easily change
With an eye on SEO:
- The site title and strap line are H1 on the homepage and H4 on internal
- The HTML <title> contains the site name on homepage and the post title on internal pages
- The post titles are H2 on the homepage and H1 on their standalone pages
- Widget friendly
- Gravatar friendly
Learn how to code with Treehouse
- Learn projects with access to 1000+ videos
- Practice live with our Code Challenge Engine
- Get help in our members-only forums
Join the weekly newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter. You'll be updated on new tutorials as they come available.
Subscribe today and get a 50% discount code to Paulund